Malawi’s football match fixing scandal

National referee (Grade One), George Aziz Nyirenda, has been suspended for two months alongside three others by the Northern Region Referees Committee.

The game was played at Mzuzu Stadium on 13th July 2017 and Chitipa United won through post match penalties. According to a letter sourced by Nyasa Times, Aziz is alleged to have pocketed K 15,000.00 from Nchalo United in order to manipulate results of a Carlsberg Cup Round of 32 match involving Chitpa United and Nchalo United in favour of the latter.

Nyasa Times has learnt that when Nchalo United lost the game, officials confronted Aziz to give them back their money.

An undisclosed source told Nyasa Times that Aziz paid back K 10,000.00 and shared the remaining K 5,000.00 with one accomplice, leaving out two others.

A Disciplinary Committee chaired by retired FIFA referee Mavuto Msimuko found Aziz guilty of corruption which is against FIFA Integrity during a hearing which took place on 22nd July 2017 at Mzuzu Stadium. Aziz was also accused of bringing the game of football into disrepute.

Nyirenda has therefore been suspended for 2 months from all refereeing activities together with Limbani Chisambi (Grade One).

Stephano Gomani (Grade One) has been suspended from all refereeing activities for 4 months just like Jimmy Phiri (Grade Two). The two were also part of the syndicate.

Be reminded that cases of corruption are criminal in nature and one can be sent to prison through a court of law,” read the last two paragraphs of the letter addressed to Aziz Nyirenda and his accomplices.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s